While tools like those described above continue to exist and serve their users, they are usually limited to doing just one of those things and don't provide the high extent of control some people need. This extension is meant to be a basis for a bigger, browser- and extension-agnostic platform with its own public script repositories that would allow for:
- add features
- have full control over the script
- custom interfaces to be provided for websites, for example to:
- make heavy sites usable on resource-constrained devices
- make sites accessible
- be able to use them more conveniently
- aggregate content from many websites in one place
- add even better features
- site descriptions to be shared, together with comments and opinions
- lightweight and ethical website design to be promoted
Support for software freedom¶
There are quite a few ways this extension could be used, meaning people with different objectives may find it useful. However, the main motive for the authors of this extension was to be able to browse the "Web" without giving up on software freedom.
This extension aims to make up for negligence of this issue in previous years. There is at least nothing to lose - with many websites non-functional without proprietary code, it can only get better now.